Often families need to shift at some point of time due to many reasons. Changes occurred while relocating to a new place might prove to be traumatic for the child of any age group. You cannot undo changes and delete all the potential problems associated with household moving with children. A number of actions and smart move can be done to make this task easier for you and your kid.
Check out below some tips on moving with kids:
- Conduct open and frank discussion with your kids. You must share the reason behind relocation. It can be due to new professional opportunity, bad relation with neighbors or lack of infrastructure etc. You should lay emphasis on this point that this move is the ideal thing to keep everyone happy and secured.
- Make sure you are prepared to answer all the questions, especially pertaining to where your children will be attending school. If you want to shift to another city or country, explain them they would be their life in that new place. Find some interesting information about that place and share with your kids. Show pictures of that place and have a healthy dialogue with your little ones. The idea is to make aware your kids regarding new place and remove fears from their innocent hearts.
- If you have grown up children then try to include your children in decision making process such as buying and choosing a new home. This step is especially critical for kids above the age of five years. In this way, they would also learn the importance of family values, inputs and making sensible decisions.
- You can also have a small party with ice cream and other favorite goodies once your new home is finalized.
- Don’t miss this opportunity to get rid of unnecessary clutter. This does not mean that you would randomly start throwing things away while moving with kids. Involve your kids in the task. Let them decide which items are worthy to keep. Let them throw their broken toys and their clothes that are no longer in use.
- If your child has any electronic or of sentimental valued things then it should not go with a moving truck. Carry these items with you and your little ones.
- Make copies of your children's medical and school records books before the move. They might need it at the time of admission in a new school.
- Do not give away your pets if you have. Kids get emotionally attached to pets more than adults. Some people believe that pets cannot handle relocation so they give away pets. Separation of pets from your kids might cause emotional trauma to them.
- Throw a party for your kids & their friends and allow your children to say "goodbye" to them. Advice your kids to stay connected with their friends through mails and telephone service. Also tell them new friends are also waiting in the new destination. However, let them experience that not every relationship will last forever.
- Hire a babysitter on the moving day, for very young kids. You can also take help from your trustworthy friend or close relative to look after on that day. You might pay more attention to logistics at the time of relocation. Presence of another adult would help to take care your children in much more smoother way.
- After shifting to new home it can take about a month for your children to adjust to the new environment. Some kids need more time span and others can quickly adapt in less time. Take medical help and talk to pediatrician if your child in facing hard time to adjust in the new set of circumstances.
- Encourage your kids to get involved in activities with other children in the new community. They can volunteer for work, or in the Parent-Teacher meet. Motivate them to participate in some activities such as art classes and sports.
- Let your kid join a recreation center in the new place. Engage them in sports, dance and music activities. It would help them to make new friends and recall less about old memories and lost friends.
So these were Tips on Moving with Kids. Hire a reputed packers and movers to shift your house and pay more attention towards your children. This would make easy for your moving with children.